Thursday, May 5, 2011

ONE!!

REALLY?!  I cannot believe that it was a year ago that I was in labor as I type!  What a crazy day that was!  From the very start of finding out that my water wasn't clear, but that there was mconium in it, we should have known that it was going to be one crazy day.  And so the story goes....

They started pitosin at 5:30am, and my dr. broke my water at about 6am.  He wasn't concerned about they miconium, but said we'd probably have to put more fluid in if he wasn't born quickly.  I remember thinking that the contractions hurt, but they weren't that bad.  Then at about 8am, they started coming back to back.  Literally.  What the heck happened to my down time?!  I was supposed to be able to breath between contractions!  Ryan was a GREAT coach, though.  Only he'd watch the monitor and say ok, you're coming down now.  Then literally in the next breath, ok, here comes another one.  Literally.  Horrible.  At about 12:35, the nurse came in to put more fluid in.  At this point, I was FINALLY at a 7.  They'd brought in the warmer and all the delivery stuff.  I had to lay on my back for the fluid injection.  Then I remember telling her that I couldn't breath and her asking me what I meant.  I repeated myself that I couldn't breath.  She was very short and said to get back on all fours, as this was how I had been before the injection.  I looked over at the monitor and saw that Cole's heart had dropped to 50 bpm where it had been up around 150 bpm.  Then everything went at warp speed.  She started calling people, and the room was literally filled with at least 10 people, including the NICU dr. who we'd actually met on our hospital visit.  People were rushing around, unhooking my IV and saying to prep for a c-section.  I remember them yelling to get the person who was in the OR out and fast.  And I remember them running me into the walls as they literally ran down the hall.  Ryan was still in our room, standing in the corner.  Thinking we were both going to die.  He'd texted our parents that things weren't going well, and my mom had been eating lunch and just had a bad feeling.  She left her lunch on the table and rushed to the hospital and got to the 3rd floor as she received Ryan's text.  I briefly saw her as I was being run down the hall.  I don't remember everything because it all happened so fast.  I do remember praying outloud to please be with Cole and let him be ok.  And then I remember being in the OR, being stripped and scrubbed down, and the dr on call saying I'm cutting.  NOT something you want to hear.  I had to have a general because I hadn't had an epidural and the anesthesialogist had not given me that yet.  He yelled, "Christ no!  I don't have her out yet!"  And that's the last thing I remember.  Next thing I knew I was waking up and they were telling me that Cole was fine.  Ryan actually got to hold him right away even though it was a c-section because it was an emergency.  Usu ally they don't let parents hold them until after they take them to the nursery .  I remember how tiny he was and that he had SO much hair!  And he wanted to nurse.  Immediatly.  He had a knot on the top of his head from sitting for so long at 4cm. 

Today our little monkey is just has head strong as he was a year ago, when he decided he was READY to be out of there!  He knows what he wants and isn't afraid to let you know.  I foresee some serious discipline in our future :).  Happy birthday to the most precious gift from God!!

 Seeing Daddy for first time
 First family pic
 SO tiny!
 He LOVED this thing.  Notice Rocky's unsure-ness.  And my cankles.  Thank you petocin for making me think my feet were going to fall off!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda~ Shanna informed me you have a blog~ yay! =) I've been blogging a few years but not so much over the last year. I hope you will come by for a visit.

    Happy birthday to your son~ he is precious!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete